Then visit the Yasukuni like Justin Bieber
Column by JB's Editor in Chief - Yujiro Taniyama
We broadcast, you decide. JB is a democratic broadcaster, seeking for the truth from a bilateral, fair perspective.
Today, let's talk about the "controversial" Yasukuni Shrine. Have you ever heard of it?! Well, my fellow Samurai Justin Bieber visited there recently. What's interesting, as Mr Beiber had done, the Yasukuni today is a major "tourist attraction" for many foreign tourists, including the Chinese.
I myself have met dozens of visitors at the Yasukuni from Shanghai and Beijing.
Well, don’t be. If you don’t believe me just knock the door yourself. Chinese visit the Yasukuni “DAILY”. Yes, daily.
Then, why do they visit?! - if they ARE actually indoctrinated by their government (PRC)’s smear campaign against pre-war Japan?!
The answer is, to my knowledge is that the Chinese nationals are pretty much skeptical over their autocratic PRC’s unilateral argument. But instead, although some may hold grudge against our ancestors, quite a few of them still do have a place in their hearts to mourn the souls of the war dead who dedicated their lives for their beloved nation.
If you disagree, that’s fine.
But please do read on. If you have the guts to, that is.
Untold, undiscussed truth and the“criminals"
There are heaps of misunderstanding globally regarding this shrine. Of course, Beiber did not have the slightest need to succumb to the anti-Tokyo Chinese-Korean activists and "go down on his knees". I'll explain why.
Western corporate medias as well as Beijing Communist Party mouthpiece "China Daily" and Xinhua today enjoy demonizing the Yasukuni - to meet its political ends, claiming that it is an evil spirited "Spooky Voldemort Castle" where the so called the war criminals are "buried".
Now, let me emphatically refute this claim. Besides, its more than funny.
1. First of all, in Shintoism, you do not "bury" the dead. Instead their souls are ENSHRINED. Tombs do not exist. Foreign correspondents often never do their homework unfortunately, and tries to see things from a western stereotype which is pretty much misleading.
There are NO BONES or cremated ashes at the shrine Mr CNN and Mrs BBC!
2. Why would over five million people (5 million) visit the Yasukuni annually, if the place is "evil" ?! It simply does not make sense. We've got to bear in mind that the Kamikaze fighters were merely 20 years of age during WW2, and that we the Japanese as well as foreign visitors go to the Yasukuni to pay respect for his courage and dedication.
3. Established in 1869, the Yasukuni enshrines the souls of the 2.46 million Japanese, including women who died while serving for the military-volunteer corps (in places such as the bloody battlefield of Okinawa). Heroes of Sino-Japanese war (1894 - 95), Russo - Japanese war (1904), World War 1 (1914 - 1918) as well as WW2 -"Battle of Peleliu" (1944)sleep in peace in the Yasukuni.
4. Talking about the so called the “WAR CRIMINALS” - Personally, I do not condone everything the Imperial Japanese Army did during the war. And my coherent stance was, and still is that it is highly irresponsible for the Japanese nationals to put a total blame on then PM Hideki Tojo, Foreign Minister Koki Hirota and their ‘friends’ - because the majority of the public were infatuated with the military-led government during the war.
5. Besides, it was hilariously and blatantly hypocritical for the U.S McArthur led “Victors” to label Tojo (Btw, I’m no big fan of this man. He was an irrefutable crook. But lets focus on ’truth’ for now) and other 28 former leaders as “WAR CRIMINALS”. If Prime Minister Tojo was to be an indisputable war criminal against ‘Peace’ or ‘Humanity’ - then what about Theodore Roosevelt who dropped 2 A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki massacring over 210,000 innocent women and children instantly?!
How should we all define the term “War Criminal”?!
We’ve also got to bear in mind, that thousands died of radiation sickness in the years to come, although disputed some historians totaling the casualties to somewhere between 400,000 to 500,000.
Isn’t that also a “Crime against Humanity”?! A grave felony?
But nobody labels former U.S President Roosevelt as a ‘Class A War criminal’ .
6. Lastly, in the history of mankind there had never been a case where the victors would put the vanquished on a trial until after WW2. While Stalin led Soviets had kidnapped 600,000 Japanese to freezing Siberia to build a railway ‘after' Tokyo’s surrender - the victors never questioned that Russian“Crime against Humanity” that resulted in the deaths of approximately 60,000 men.
What’s more appalling, the a U.S.S.R sent one of the 11 judges to the Tokyo trial (1946 -48) that labelled the 28 former Japanese leaders as an “A Class war criminal” - turning a blind eye to its own atrocities.
That being said, the stereotype“Yasukuni enshrines war criminals so never go” narrative is not only hypocritical and blatantly double standard but simply unconvincing.
And it also explains why more than 5 million people, mostly Japanese visit the holy shrine annually, to mourn the souls of those who paid ultimate sacrifices for their beloved nation.
Btw, I myself is no right wing nationalist, but a mere patriot that love Sushi (Engawa) and KFC.
Just think for a minute ladies and gentlemen, isn’t it a universal right for any citizen worldwide to commemorate those who sacrificed their lives for their country? Americans visit the Arlington, the Australians visit the "Australian War Memorial" and the Japanese visit the Yasukuni. And just as a reminder, the shrine is nowhere near a "Dark Evil Voldemort Shrine" often depicted by Chinese state run media- propagandas, but in fact also a jolly place. Yasukuni Shrine Mitama Festival - Way of enjoying guide will tell you why.
I go to the Yasukuni on a Tozai line subway, Kudanshita station to pray for world peace. And so do the others.
Seeing is believing fellas. Don't be duped by your favorite ‘Fake News’ or the Russians!
Thank you. See you in Tokyo.
Yujiro Taniyama - JB's Editor in Chief